KIA Sorento Change a Fuel Filter
Fuel that you get from the gas station is filtered, but some dirt gets through the filtering process at the oil refinery. Kia and most automotive manufacturers have realized that this dirt clogs fuel injectors and causes major driveability issues. To combat this problem, they have incorporated fuel filters into the fuel system that require periodic replacement to ensure that the fuel system flows properly and that the engine receives a sufficient amount of fuel. Replacing the fuel filter on your Kia Sorento is quick, easy and only requires basic tools.
|New Fuel Filter|
Change a Fuel Filter
- Open the hood and prop it.
- Open the cover to the under-hood fuse box and locate the fuel pump relay. You can find the fuel pump relay by reading the diagram under the fuse box cover.
- Remove the fuel pump relay by pulling it up with your fingers.
- Crank the engine for approximately 5 seconds and repeat three times. The engine won't start, because the fuel pump relay is removed and will just crank. The purpose behind this is to relieve fuel system pressure so that you can safely remove the fuel filter without fuel spraying dangerously.
- Locate the fuel filter on the passenger side of the engine compartment. It should be black and cylindrical with two fuel hoses attached to it.
- Unscrew both hose clamps with a screwdriver and pull the hoses off.
- Unscrew the bracket holding the fuel filter with a screwdriver and remove the fuel filter.
- Install a new fuel filter onto the bracket and tighten the bracket with a screwdriver
- Connect the two fuel lines to the new fuel filter and tighten the hose clamps with a screwdriver.
- Reinstall the fuel pump relay.
- Start the Kia Sorento and make sure there aren't any leaks. It may take a few cranks to get the fuel circulated through the system for the car to start.
Tips & Warnings
- The fuel lines may be difficult to remove from the old fuel filter. If they are difficult to remove, use pliers to grab onto the fuel line where it connects to the fuel filter and twist the line side to side until it breaks free.
- Wear safety glasses to protect your eyes from injury.