2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible Remove the Battery
The battery in a 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible is located behind the right-front headlight, to the right of the engine. This battery is held in place by a plastic hold-down bracket, mounted to the floor of the battery tray. This bracket is designed to prevent the battery from sliding around the engine compartment during sharp turns or sudden stops. In order to remove the battery from the vehicle, this bracket must be removed along with the battery leads.
|10 mm box-end wrench|
|13 mm socket|
Remove the Battery
- Place the PT Cruiser's transmission in park and shut off the engine. Engage the parking brake and open the hood. Put on your safety glasses and acid-resistant gloves.
- Remove the bolts holding the negative and positive leads to the battery terminals using a 10 mm box-end wrench. Remove the leads from the terminals with a twisting/pulling motion.
- Remove the bolt securing the battery hold-down to the bottom of the battery tray using a 13 mm socket and a 3/8-inch ratchet. Remove the battery hold-down and its bolt.
- Grip the battery with two hands and lift it out of the engine compartment.
Tips & Warnings
- The acid inside vehicle batteries is very dangerous. It can cause extremely bad burns and injuries. Always handle batteries with caution and make sure to wear safety glasses and acid-resistant gloves.