2003 Volkswagen Passat Reset Check Engine Light
The check engine light on your 2003 VW Passat comes on when there is a problem with the vehicle's emissions control system. You will need to have a free diagnostic scan done by an auto parts store to figure out what's wrong with your Passat. However, once the problem is fixed, you will need to know how to reset the check engine light. Since the on-board diagnostic computer generates and stores these trouble codes, you will need to erase them before the check engine light can be reset.
| This process does not require tools.
If you feel any tools are required, feel free to update this article.
Reset Check Engine Light
- Open the fuse panel cover on the driver's side foot well by pulling down on the cover with your fingers.
- Locate the fuse for the electronic control unit. Use the fuse diagram on the underside of the fuse panel cover to locate the fuse.
- Pull the fuse using the fuse pullers in the fuse panel.
- Turn the ignition to the "on" position but do not crank the engine.
- Wait five minutes and then reinsert the fuse into the fuse panel.
- Wait for the "check engine" light to flash and then shut off. At this point, your check engine light will be reset.