2003 Toyota Camry Change the Fuel Filter
The fuel system on the 2003 Toyota Camry comes equipped with a canister-type fuel filter. This fuel filter is made to keep small particles and debris out of the engine. The canister fuel filter has a inner filter through which the gas travels. Once the gas travels through the inner filter, the filter will trap and hold the small particles and debris inside. Then, the clean gas will flow through the fuel lines to the fuel injectors and into the engine. Replace the fuel filter between 40,000 and 75,000 miles.
|Fluid catch pan|
|Open-end wrench set|
|New fuel filter|
Change the Fuel Filter
- Park the 2003 Toyota Camry in a safe work environment that is well ventilated. Pull the hood latch and open the hood.
- Walk to the rear of the carand remove the gas cap.
- Stand in front of the Camry and locate the fuel filter. The fuel filter on the 2003 model Camry is mounted to the drive-side firewall. Slide the catch pan under the car in the general area of the fuel filter.
- Remove the bottom fuel line from the bottom of the fuel filter with the open-end wrench. Hold the fuel filter with one hand while turning the fuel line hex nut counterclockwise. Finish unscrewing the fuel line from the bottom of the fuel filter with your fingers.
- Remove the top fuel line from the fuel filter with the open-end wrench, Hold the fuel filter with one hand while turning the fuel line hex nut counterclockwise. Finish unscrewing the fuel line with your fingers.
- Remove the two nuts from the bracket that hold the fuel filter in place with an open-end wrench.
- Pull the fuel filter out and discard it in the catch pan. Insert the new fuel filter into the bracket and screw the bolts back into the bracket. Tighten the bracket down with the open-end wrench.
- Screw the bottom fuel line onto the bottom of the fuel filter. Tighten the bottom fuel line hex nut with the open-end wrench while holding the fuel filter with your other hand.
- Screw the top fuel line onto the top of the fuel filter. Tighten the fuel line hex nut down tight with the open-end wrench while holding the fuel filter with your other hand. Then, walk back to the rear of the Camry and screw the gas cap back on.
- Crank the engine and inspect the new fuel filter for leaks with the car running. Turn the engine off and close the hood. Slide the catch pan out from under the car.
Tips & Warnings
- Make sure that the arrow on the side of the fuel filter is facing the correct way. The arrow on the fuel filter represents the flow of the fuel from the gas tank to the engine. The arrow should be pointing away from the fuel line that comes from the gas tank and pointing towards the fuel line that travels out of the fuel line and into the engine.
- Discard the old fuel filter per your local and state laws. Most auto-repair shops will accept used fuel filters for disposal.
- Never smoke or use open flames around gas.
- Wear protective glasses around gas.