2003 Hyundai Elantra Replace Headlight
The 2003 Hyundai Elantra uses halogen headlight inserts (one for low-beam and one for high-beam). While there are a couple different ways to successfully replace the headlights on this model, there is only one way to obtain full access to the headlight inserts at the back of the headlight assembly. While it's possible to remove the components to access the headlights, people with large hands and/or arms may still find the replacement procedure challenging. Remove the headlight assembly to allow clear access for anyone trying to replace the headlights.
 Tools Used
|1/4-inch drive ratchet, extension and socket set|
|H7 (low-beam) replacement bulb(s)|
|H1 (high-beam) replacement bulb(s)|
 Replace Headlight
- Open the hood of the Hyundai Elantra.
- Locate the two upper retaining screws to the headlight assembly (one is aligned with the high-beam headlight bulb on the rear inner edge of the assembly, and the other is between the turn-signal and low-beam bulb on the outer edge of the assembly).
- Remove the two screws with a 1/4-inch drive ratchet and suitable socket.
- Remove the lower headlight assembly screw, located at the bottom center of the assembly, then remove it with the ratchet, extension and socket.
- Pull (with some force) the assembly from its cavity to unseat the ball-socket retainers that still embrace the assembly.
- Pull the assembly forward enough to access the headlights inserted in the rear without compromising the wire harness connections attached to the headlight sockets.
- Turn the respective headlight access cover (low-beam on outside end of assembly toward fender; high-beam on inside end toward grill) counterclockwise to unscrew it from the back base of the headlight assembly.
- Pull the three-pronged wire harness plug from the socket of the headlight to disengage it.
- Press inward on the retaining spring clip holding the headlight inside the assembly, then push the spring tab away from the locking latch. Swing the clip open, then remove the old headlight.
- Put on a pair of disposable gloves on before handling the replacement headlight (H7 for low-beam; H1 for high-beam).
- Insert the bulb into the headlight assembly with the tab at the base of the headlight in the upright position. While holding the headlight in place, swing the retaining spring clip over the base of the headlight and reattach the locking mechanism.
- Plug the wire harness outlet back into the socket of the bulb and test before reversing the remainder of the procedure to reinstall the assembly.