2003 Dodge RAM Cummins 2500 Pick Up Change the Fuel Filter
The 2003 Dodge Cummins 2500 pickup comes equipped with a canister fuel filter, located inside the engine compartment. The diesel is pumped out the fuel tank and travels through the fuel lines to the fuel filter canister. Once the diesel enters into the canister, the small particles and debris get trapped inside of the filter element. The clean diesel then travels out the other side of the canister and into the fuel injectors. Replace the fuel filters between 20,000 and 40,000 miles.
|1/2-inch drive ratchet|
|New fuel filter with O-ring|
Change the Fuel Filter
- Park the truck in a safe and well-ventilated location, preferably outside or inside a garage with the doors and windows open so the fuel vapors can escape.
- Open the hood and locate the fuel filter canister on the rear, driver side of the engine. The fuel filter has a drain valve attached to a drain hose on the bottom of the canister. Slide the drip pan under the truck and position the pan under the general area of the drain valve hose.
- Turn the drain valve counterclockwise to open it. Allow all of the diesel and water to drain into the drip pan. Once all the diesel and water has drained out of the fuel filter canister, turn the drain valve clockwise to close it.
- Loosen and remove the cap from the top of the fuel filter canister with the ratchet and a metric socket. Pull the cap off the canister. The fuel filter is attached to the bottom of the cap.
- Pull the fuel filter off the bottom of the cap. Then, pull the O-ring off the base of the cap. Discard the old fuel filter and O-ring into the drip pan.
- Fill the fuel filter canister completely full of fresh diesel.
- Slide the new O-ring around the base of the cap. Then, attach the new fuel filter onto the bottom of the cap. Slide the cap with the new fuel filter back into the canister. Screw the cap down tight with your hand. Then, tighten the cap with the ratchet and socket.
- Turn the ignition key to the accessory position for 30 seconds. This will complete the fuel filter priming process. After 30 seconds, crank the engine and let it run for about 15 seconds. Turn the engine back off.
- Inspect the fuel filter canister for leaks and slide the drip pan out from under the truck. Close the hood.
Tips & Warnings
- The new fuel filter can be bought at most auto-parts stores.
- The priming process will remove all of the air from the fuel system by completely filling the canister and the fuel lines up with diesel.
- Keep any type of open flames away from diesel.
- Wear safety glasses when replacing the fuel filter.