2002 Saturn SC2 Change a Starter
Starters use the electrical charge from the Saturn SC2's battery to turn the motor initially and allow your Saturn to start. They suffer from a large amount of wear and tear from daily vehicle use. The starter in a 2002 Saturn SC2 is openly accessible under the vehicle, making it fairly simple to replace. You should be able to change the starter in your Saturn in 10 to 20 minutes, using a few basic tools.
|12 mm socket wrench|
Change a Starter
- Drive your Saturn up on car ramps and place the vehicle in park. Be sure to lock the emergency brake as well to prevent potential rolling and sliding.
- Open the hood and use a crescent wrench to remove the negative (black) terminal from the battery. This will stop the flow of electricity to the vehicle's starter.
- Climb under the vehicle and locate the starter on the side of the transmission housing, just behind the radiator carriage harness.
- Remove the electrical connection on the starter using a 12 mm socket wrench.
- Remove the two mounting bolts on the sides of the starter with a 12 mm socket. Slide the starter out of its housing.
- Slide a new starter into the housing and secure it with the two mounting bolts.
- Attach the electrical connection to the new starter.
- Reconnect the negative terminal on the vehicle's battery.
Tips & Warnings
- Spending a few extra dollars on a high-performance starter may save you money in the end.
- Always use caution when working around a propped vehicle.