2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Replace the Fuel Filter
The fuel filter for the 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport is a cylinder-shaped canister that keeps any impurities from the gas out of the engine. When the motor is running, the gas is sucked out of the gas tank by the fuel pump. The gas then flows into the fuel filter, where the inner portion of the fuel filter catches and holds the impurities from the gas. The cleaner gas then flows to the engine. Replace the fuel filter anytime between 60,000 and 75,000 miles.
 Tools Used
|Fuel line quick disconnect tool|
|Metric open-end wrench set|
 Replace the Fuel Filter
- Park the 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport in a ventilated area and shut the engine off. Set the emergency brake to keep the vehicle from rolling.
- Unscrew the gas cap from the gas tank to relieve the gas pressure off the fuel filter. This process will prevent gas from spraying everywhere when the fuel lines are removed from the fuel filter.
- Jack up the rear driver side of the vehicle in front of the driver side rear wheel. Position a jack stand under the designated rear jacking point of the vehicle. Slowly lower the vehicle onto the stand and leave the jack in place.
- Locate the fuel filter mounted to a bracket above the rear driver side wheel. The fuel filter has a hex head fuel line nut on one end and a quick connect fuel line on the other end. Position the drip pan under the fuel filter.
- Remove the hex head fuel line nut first by unscrewing the nut with a metric open-end wrench. Once the fuel line is loose, finish unscrewing it with your fingers.
- Remove the quick connect fuel line by inserting the end of the quick disconnect tool into the end of the fuel line and pressing inward. Once the end of the tool is pressed far enough into the end of the fuel line, the fuel line will unlock from the fuel filter port. Pull the fuel line straight off the fuel filter. Wait for the small amount of excess gas to flow out of the fuel filter and the fuel lines into the drip pan.
- Remove the fuel filter from the bracket by unscrewing the bracket bolt with a 10 mm open-end wrench. Pull the fuel filter out of the bracket and put it into the drip pan.
- Slide the new fuel filter into the bracket with the arrow that is imprinted on the side of the filter pointing toward the engine and away from the gas tank. This arrow represents the flow of the gas from the gas tank to the engine. Tighten the bracket back down over the fuel filter. Repeat the process above for reconnecting the fuel lines to the fuel filter.
- Slide the drip pan out from under the vehicle and screw the gas cap back onto the gas tank.
- Turn the ignition to the accessory position for five seconds and back off. Repeat this a total of three times. Then, crank the engine and inspect the new filter for gas leaks. Turn the engine off. Jack the 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport back up and remove the jack stand. Lower the vehicle back to the ground and remove the jack.
 Tips & Warnings
- The fuel line quick disconnect tool can be purchased at most any auto parts store along with the fuel filter.
- Do not smoke or use any type of open flames around gas or any type of fuel.
- Wear safety glasses when removing the fuel filter
- Refer to local and state laws pertaining to the discarding of used fuel and used fuel filters.