2002 KIA Rio Cinco Install Timing Belt
The Kia Rio is a subcompact car that Kia Motors has produced since 2001. The Cinco trim level of the Rio is a five-door hatchback available in the United States. The procedure for installing the timing belt depends only on the engine and is not directly affected by the trim level. The 2002 Kia Rio Cinco has a four-cylinder, 1.5- liter engine that uses a timing belt to synchronize the movements of the camshaft and crankshaft.
 Tools Used
|Socket wrench set|
 Install Timing Belt
- Remove the cable from the negative terminal of the battery with a socket wrench. Detach the accessory drive belts from their respective pulleys. Disconnect the alternator and water pump.
- Disconnect the crankshaft pulley with a socket wrench and remove the guide plate from the timing belt pulley. Disconnect the upper and lower covers for the timing belt.
- Turn the crankshaft pulley clockwise to align the timing mark on the pulley with the timing mark on the engine. The I and E marks on the camshaft pulley must also align with their respective marks on the cylinder head. Disconnect the timing belt tensioner pulley and the timing belt with a socket wrench.
- Connect the pulley for the timing belt tensioner. Pull the tensioner away from the crankshaft pulley as far as possible and fasten the lock bolt for the tensioner to hold it in place. Place the timing belt onto the crankshaft pulley, idler pulley, exhaust camshaft pulley, intake camshaft pulley and tensioner pulley, in that order.
- Loosen the pulley for the timing belt tensioner to apply tension to the timing belt. Tighten the lock bolt to between 28 and 38 foot-pounds with a torque wrench. Turn the crankshaft clockwise by two full turns and align the timing marks.
- Install the upper and lower covers for the timing belt with a socket wrench. Tighten the mounting bolt for the crankshaft pulley to between 9 and 13 foot-pounds with a torque wrench. Connect the water pump pulley and tighten its mounting bolt to between 9 and 13 foot-pounds.
- Install the alternator and attach the accessory drive belts. Connect the cable to the negative terminal of the battery.