2002 Chevrolet Silverado Adjust the Emergency Brake
You can adjust the emergency brake on your 2002 Chevy Silverado right from your home garage or driveway to save time and money. Adjusting the emergency brake is just a matter of taking up the slack in the parking brake cable. You will know it's time for an adjustment when you park your vehicle on a downhill slope and the emergency brake doesn't keep the vehicle from slipping.
|4 wheel chocks|
|2 jack stands|
Adjust the Emergency Brake
- Place wheel chocks behind and in front of the front wheels of the Silverado.
- Raise up the rear end of the Silverado with a jack. Slide jack stands under the vehicle next to each of the rear wheels. Lower the vehicle onto the jack stands for support.
- Get under the Silverado and find cables that come together. At the point where they come together you will find an adjuster nut. Use a screwdriver to turn the adjuster nut.
- Spin the rear wheels to verify they spin freely. If they don't spin freely, turn the adjuster nut the other direction.
- Raise up the vehicle with the jack and remove the jack stands. Lower the vehicle to the ground and remove the wheel chocks.