2002 Chevrolet Malibu Replace the Multi-Function Switch
The multi-function switch on your 2002 Chevrolet Malibu controls the hazard flashers, turn signals and headlights. When two or more of these systems experience malfunctions simultaneously, it's a good bet your multi-function switch has failed. The hazard flasher activation button and turn signal stalk are part of the multi-function switch assembly. When the time comes to replace the multi-function switch in your 2002 Chevrolet Malibu, if you have entry-level auto-repair experience, you can perform the job yourself.
Replace the Multi-Function Switch
- Remove the steering column trim cover from the Malibu's steering column using the trim tool. Once you have pried the cover loose with the trim tool, you can pull it off the column by hand to expose the multi-function switch.
- Pick the wiring pigtail out of the multi-function switch by hand. Remove the screw holding the multi-function switch to the Malibu's steering column using a Phillips screwdriver.
- Lift the multi-function switch out of the column by hand. Place the Malibu's new multi-function switch in the column by hand.
- Install the retaining screw in the Malibu's new multi-function switch with the Phillips screwdriver. Plug the wiring pigtail into the new switch assembly by hand.
- Reinstall the steering column trim cover in reverse of how you removed it.