2001 Dodge Intrepid Disconnect the Car Battery
The 2001 Intrepid is a four-door family sedan produced by Dodge. If you have ever replaced or disconnected a battery in another vehicle, you'll likely find that performing the same task in your Intrepid will be a bit more challenging. While most manufacturers place the battery in an easy-to-access area of the engine, the battery in your Intrepid is somewhat hidden and will require some extra work to gain access to it. However, once you get to your battery, disconnecting it is an easy process.
 Tools Used
 Disconnect the Car Battery
- Turn the steering wheel as far to the right as you can while the Intrepid is running and in park, then turn the ignition off. Turning the wheel, while the Intrepid is on, will allow you to utilize the power steering, which will make it much easier to turn the wheel.
- Remove the access panel for the battery located on the passenger's side on the inner fender. Insert a flat head screwdriver into the tabs on the access panel to pry them loose then pull off the panel.
- Remove the air cleaner housing to get easier access to the battery. Depress the two tabs on the air cleaner's lid then lift it off. To remove the air cleaner housing, loosen its screw then lift it off.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. To do this, use an adjustable wrench to loosen the bolt on the clamp that holds the cable onto the battery terminal. The negative battery cable is black in color, and negative terminal has a minus sign imprinted around it.
- Disconnect the positive battery cable in the same manner as you used with the negative cable. The positive cable is red, and the battery terminal will be imprinted with a positive sign.
 Tips & Warnings
- If your Intrepid will be sitting idle for a week or more, it is a good idea to disconnect the battery to prevent it from getting slowly drained by the vehicle's computer components.
- Batteries contain toxic and corrosive materials, so wash your hands after working around the battery. If you notice the battery is leaking or has cracks in it, you should replace it.