2000 Ford F250 Super Duty 5.4L Replace a Fuel Filter
The 2000 Ford F-250 with the 5.4 liter engine comes equipped with an in line fuel filter that cleans the fuel before the fuel reaches the engine. The fuel filter catches and traps any sediments from the fuel. Once the fuel filter becomes clogged with sediments, it will not be able to function properly and will cause the engine to misfire. Ford recommends replacing the fuel filter on the 2000 Ford F-250 between 50,000 and 75,000 miles.
 Tools Used
|Fuel catch pan|
|Fuel line quick disconnect tool|
|New fuel filter|
 Replace a Fuel Filter
- Park the 2000 F250 Super Duty 5.4L on even ground and turn the engine off. Set the emergency brake.
- Unscrew the gas cap to relieve the fuel pressure from the fuel filter and the fuel lines.
- Slide under the driver side of the truck and locate the fuel filter. The fuel filter on the 2000 F250 Super Duty 5.4L is located inside the driver side, frame rail under the driver side door. The fuel filter for the 5.4 liter engine requires a fuel line quick disconnect tool.
- Remove both plastic safety clips from the front of each fuel line where the fuel line meets the fuel filter port. Slide the flat-head screwdriver under the plastic clips and pry up until they pop off. Save the clips.
- Slide the catch pan under the fuel filter. Slide the round end of the fuel line quick disconnect tool into the end of the fuel line. Press the tool inward until you feel the fuel line unlock from the fuel filter port. Gently slide the fuel line off of the fuel filter port. Do this to both fuel lines.
- Slide the old fuel filter out of the round metal bracket and discard it into the catch pan. Slide the new fuel filter into the bracket with the flow arrow pointing toward the engine. The flow arrow represents the flow of the fuel through the fuel filter.
- Push both fuel lines onto the fuel filter ports on both sides of the fuel filter. Push the lines on until you feel them lock in place. Pull back on the fuel lines to make sure that they are locked on.
- Slide the plastic clips back into the ends of the fuel lines. Press the clips downward until you feel them lock in place. The plastic clips are a safety feature that hold the fuel lines to the fuel filter ports.
- Slide the catch pan out from under the Ford F-250. Screw the gas cap back on. Turn the ignition key on and off three different times without cranking the engine. This primes the fuel filter with fuel.
- Crank the engine on the fourth turn of the ignition. Inspect the fuel lines and the fuel filter while the engine is running.
 Tips & Warnings
- You can purchase a fuel line quick disconnect tool at most auto parts stores.
- The fuel filter part number for the 2000 F250 Super Duty 5.4L is: Hastings- HAGF326
- Never smoke around any type of fuel.