2000 Chrysler Sebring Change the Battery
The battery on a 2000 Chrysler Sebring is located on the left side of the engine bay and provides the electrical charge to start the engine. The battery stores electricity generated by the alternator and provides power for accessories such as the headlights, windshield wipers and radio. If you notice that the headlights on your 2000 Chrysler Sebring are dim or the starter motor struggles to rotate the engine, it may be a sign that your battery needs to be replaced.
Change the Battery
Removing the Battery
- Park the vehicle on a level surface and set the parking brake.
- Open the hood.
- Unhook the ground cable from the battery. Loosen the bolt that secures the negative cable to the battery using a wrench. Slide the clamp off the post.
- Unhook the positive cable from the battery. Loosen the bolt that secures the positive cable to the battery using a wrench. Slide the clamp off the post.
- Unscrew the nut that secures the battery hold-down plate to the hold-down bolt, using a socket. Lift the hold-down plate off the battery.
- Lift the battery out of the engine compartment and remove it from the vehicle.
Installing the New Battery
- Clean both the positive and negative battery cable clamps using a battery brush along with a mixture of baking soda and water. The cables should be cleaned inside and out until the surface is bright and shines.
- Examine the condition of the battery tray. Clean any rust or corrosion with a mixture of baking soda and water.
- Set the new battery into the battery tray.
- Place the battery hold-down plate over the new battery. Screw the hold-down nut onto the bolt, using a socket.
- Slide the positive battery cable onto the positive battery post. Tighten the retaining bolt using a wrench.
- Slide the negative battery cable onto the negative battery post. Tighten the retaining bolt using a wrench.
Tips & Warnings
- If the new battery has been sitting for a few days before being installed, you may want to connect it to a battery charger for an hour to fully charge it.
- Hydrogen gas is produced by the battery and is highly explosive. Do not smoke around the battery and be aware of open sources of heat or spark.