2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Replace the Fuel Filter
The fueling system on a 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier is an in-line system made up of several major components. The fuel line carries fuel from the gas tank to the engine. The fuel pump manages the flow of fuel, and the fuel filter cleans the fuel for dirt and rust particles. These components work together to keep your vehicle in good condition. If one component goes bad, it could seriously damage the engine. You should check your fueling system often and change components that appear faulty. Replacing the fuel filter on your 2000 Cavalier is fairly easy and requires only one tool.
Replace the Fuel Filter
- Park your 2000 Cavalier in a well-ventilated area on level ground. For extra safety, engage the parking brake. Unscrew the gas filler cap from the fuel tank. Open the hood and disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
- Put on the gloves and the safety glasses. Crawl underneath the vehicle from the back near the trunk. Locate the fuel filter. The filter on a 2000 Cavalier is mounted to the frame just in front of the fuel tank. The fuel filter is a cylindrical piece of metal mounted almost directly below the rear seating area of the vehicle.
- Inspect the fuel filter and notice that it is connected to the fuel line by a connector made of metal and plastic. This is called a quick-release fitting. Apply pressure to the outer tabs of the quick-release fitting until it releases the fuel line from the fuel filter. If disconnecting the fuel line becomes too hard, you can also apply a fuel line disconnect tool to force the fuel line from the fuel filter.
- Use an adjustable wrench to remove the hex flanges that attach the filter to the frame of the vehicle. Set the hex flanges aside. Slide the fuel filter out of the mounting bracket and discard the filter.
- Slide the new filter into the mounting bracket and bolt it to the frame using a wrench and the hex flanges. Align the fuel line with the fuel filter. Push the quick-release fittings together over the area where the fuel line meets the fuel filter. The retaining tabs should snap into place, letting you know that the fuel filter is secure. Pull on the fuel line to ensure that the fuel filter is tightly attached.
- Crawl from under the vehicle. Screw the gas filler cap back onto the fuel tank. Reconnect the negative cable to the battery.
Tips & Warnings
- For a 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier, try using an Az brand fuel filter, part number FF4508.
- The fuel line disconnect tool is called a disconnect tool J, part number J-38778.
- Keep open flames and lit tobacco away from your fueling system when performing maintenance on it.