2000 Buick LeSabre Change Gas Filter
The fuel filter on the 2000 Buick LeSabre is the main component in the fuel cleaning process. The fuel filter is an in line canister type fuel filter that strains the gas before it reaches the engine. The canister fuel filter also has a fibered filter on the inside of the filter housing. When the gas reaches the fuel filter from the gas tank, it circulates through the fibered filter to strain these particles and debris from the gas. Replace the fuel filter between 40,000 and 75,000 miles.
|Gas catch container|
|Open end wrench set|
|New fuel filter|
Change Gas Filter
- Park the 2000 Buick LeSabre and push the parking brake in.
- Unscrew the gas cap from the fill neck on the gas tank. This will remove the high gas pressure of the fuel filter.
- Jack the front of the 2000 Buick LeSabre and place a jack stand under the jack points on both sides of the car. Slowly release the jack so that the car comes to a secure stop on the jack stands. Stop the jack as soon as the car is sitting on the jacks and leave it in the air as an extra safety measure.
- Crawl under the driver side of the LeSabre near the rear of the driver side wheel and locate the fuel filter. Slide the gas catch pan underneath the fuel filter location.
- Remove the inlet fuel line from the fuel filter by taking a clean rag and squeezing the end of the fuel line where it is connected to the fuel filter pipe. Once you squeeze the end of the fuel line, it will unlock from the fuel filter pipe. Pull the fuel line off the pipe.
- Put an open end wrench on the nut that is built onto the outlet side of the fuel filter. Take another open end wrench and turn the fuel filter nut that connects the fuel line to the fuel filter counterclockwise to loosen. Finish unscrewing the fuel line nut with your fingers and pull the fuel line off the filter.
- Slide the filter out of the bracket and put it into the catch pan. Insert the new fuel filter into the bracket with the correct fittings facing the proper direction.
- Push the inlet fuel line straight onto the fuel filter pipe until you feel it lock in place.
- Screw the outlet fuel line onto the fuel filter nut. Turn the fuel line nut clockwise to tighten the fuel line to the fuel filter. Slide the gas catch pan out from under the LeSabre.
- Jack the LeSabre back up and pull the stands out. Release the jack so that the car comes back to the ground and pull the jack out. Screw the cap back onto the fill neck on the gas tank.
- Get in on the driver side of the LeSabre and turn the ignition key on and then off three different times. This will fill the new filter up with gas. Crank the engine and let it run.
- Inspect the new fuel filter for gas leaks while the engine is running. Then, turn the engine off.
Tips & Warnings
- These types of fuel filters are designed to only fit one way so that you cannot install it backward.
- Keep any open flames away from gas.
- No smoking around gas.
- Wear protective goggles or safety glasses around gas.