1998 Pontiac Bonneville Change Serpentine Belt
From WikituneUp - The Free Service Manual
The serpentine belt, which drives multiple components connected to the motor, is a major component of any car. Fortunately, you can change the serpentine belt on a 1998 Bonneville with just a few standard tools.
|Socket wrench with a 10mm socket attachment|
|Diagram under the hood|
Change Serpentine Belt
- Park the vehicle in the well-lighted work space and open the hood. Locate the belt diagram under the hood to give you a visual guide.
- Remove cover from over the alternator with your adjustable wrench.
- Locate the hexagon bolt in the middle of the alternator. Securely place your socket wrench on the bolt and turn it counter clockwise. The belt will begin loosening. The more you turn the nut the more slack you will have to remove the belt.
- Pull the belt off of the alternator and continue removing it from around the other pulleys. Track your steps while removing the belt, because installing the new belt is the same process but reverse.
- Install the new belt on to the alternator looping it onto the other pulleys. Use your diagram to guide you through this process.
- Tighten the bolt on the alternator until the belt is semi tight around all of the pulleys. Guide the belt with your free hand while you are tightening it so it doesn't come off the pulleys.
Tips & Warnings
- Print out a diagram of your belt system. If you cannot find it online take a clear picture of the diagram under your hood and print the picture out.
- Be sure to let the vehicle cool completely before you begin working on it.