1997 Chevrolet 1500 Pick Up Change a Dimmer Switch
The dimmer switch on a 1997 Chevrolet 1500 pickup is integrated into the headlight switch which is mounted on the dash. If you have problems with the dimmer switch on your truck, then you will have to remove it from the dashboard and replace it with a new one. Fortunately, there isn't much to remove or replace to make this happen, and it can be done in under 20 minutes.
|Replacement dimmer switch|
Change a Dimmer Switch
- Park the truck and set the parking brake. Apply the brake with your right foot. Put the key in the ignition and turn it to "On," but do not start the engine. Drop the transmission shifter to its lowest position, then pull down the steering column using the tilt lever on the left side of the column.
- Pull the bezel around the dimmer switch off of the dashboard. Reach around the back of the switch and unplug the wiring to the switch. Pull the bezel off of the dashboard and put the transmission lever back in "Park." Turn the key off.
- Remove the dimmer switch from the back of the bezel by using the flathead screwdriver to gently pry back the plastic clips that hold the dimmer switch in the bezel. Pull the dimmer switch away from the bezel and discard it.
- Install the replacement dimmer switch into the stock location on the bezel by pushing it in place until it clicks and locks in place. Put your foot on the brake pedal and put the key in the "On" position again. Drop the transmission shifter to its lowest position. Plug the dimmer switch wiring into the back of the dimmer switch. Push the bezel back on the dashboard until it clicks in place.
- Put the shifter back into the park position and remove the key from the ignition.